Stoughton is a growing community, and it’s location gives it the perfect combination of small town living near big city amenities. With a population of just over 650 people, our town still retains the feel of a small community, with waves and hellos being passed on the streets. Stoughton is filled with many businesses and amenities which include grocery stores, a pharmacy, restaurants, retail stores, a hotel, motels, beauty salons, carwash, gas station, financial institution and library. And if it can’t be found here, Weyburn, Estevan and Carlyle are all only 60kms away, and Regina is just 140kms. Stoughton Central School contains grades K-12, we have a playschool and government accredited daycare available. Golf Course, Swimming Pool, Ball diamonds, a Hockey Rink, Curling Rink, and Taylor Memorial Park all provide residents with lots to do, as well as the organized sports found throughout town.
The History of Stoughton
The tiny settlement of New Hope was barely three years old when the C.P.R. arrived in this part of the province in 1904. When the railway chose a location a little to the south for its depot calling it Stoughton, New Hope was soon moved to join it.
Incorporated as a village in 1904, Stoughton was well situated to become the distribution centre for a wide area. In the days of rail travel, there was passenger as well as freight service. It also found itself at the junction of three major highways. One of which has been designated “The Red Coat Trail”, commemorating the movement of a detachment of the R.N.W.M.P. on route across southern Saskatchewan to Fort McLeod.
Since Stoughton acquired its town status in 1960, such amenities as sewer and water, paved streets and natural gas, have helped it to continue to grow into the attractive community it is today.
Ball has been a sport played in Stoughton dating back to the early 1900’s however it never really captured the interest of the sportsman until John Dechaine moved to Stoughton in the late 1940’s. John added the winning touch to the Stoughton teams.
Curling has been a major part of the winter sports scene in Stoughton since the construction of the first curling rink in 1907. Up until the 1960’s Bonspiels were one of the highest priorities on the curlers list of events. The Stoughton curlers would take over the hockey rink for a week and create six sheets of curling ice. The largest ‘spiel had a record 97 rinks registering.
Harness racing came into fashion in rural Saskatchewan during the 1940’s and 1950’s and Stoughton had its race track at the fairgrounds circling the ball diamonds and was used by the local horse owners and trainers. On fair day the track was the scene of competitive racing. The pioneers of Harness Racing in Stoughton were horsemen such as Jack Dashney, Jack Campbell, Wellington Richardson, Phillipe Lachappelle and the Clark family. The Clark family rising to prominence in National Harness Racing circles.
“HOCKEY” Canada’s most favorite winter past time has been a favorite in Stoughton as well. In all probability, over the years more young boys and men have played hockey in Stoughton than any other sport. In recent years we have had many players go to junior teams in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League cites of Estevan, Weyburn, Melville etc. A special thank you goes to the coaches who have contributed so much to the lives of these players.